Sunday 20 April 2014

Uplifting Email About Reconnecting with Drawing

Chatting with the Fauna Drawing Workshop
Drawing I developed in collaboration with Jonathan Grauel, based on work made by workshop participants.

I recently delivered a series of drawing focused workshops as part my 'Chatting with the Fauna' exhibition at the Creative Arts Hub in Mirfield. The workshops engaged with almost 400 primary school pupils and their teachers over a 5 day period, and the children's work then formed part of the continuing exhibition.

As usual I got on my soap box and talked enthusiastically about the importance of drawing as a communication tool.

I received an email this morning from one of the teachers who attended the workshops;

Hi,

I came with my class from School last term to do some art with you for the exhibition in Mirfield. I know the kids really enjoyed it but I was actually really inspired by your work and your approach. You told the kids to never give up drawing as that's what happens to people in their teens. That was pretty much me, but after that day I went and bought a sketch pad and some felt tips and started drawing again. So much so I've started using acrylics, oil pastels, watercolours and crayons and got myself a shed to do it all in.

So I'd just like to say thanks for the inspiration. It gave me the push to do the picture books I've wanted to do for a while. 



Thanks again


Sonny

 This email filled me will a warm glow :) I wish Sonny the best of luck with his drawing journey.

Everyone should draw more!!!

One of Sonny's drawings following the workshop

No comments: